Attorney Riddle obtained a DMCA subpoena for his client after making the proof and declaration in the United States District Court in Philadelphia. A review indicates that this type of DMCA subpoena is the first of its kind obtained in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. A DMCA Subpoena is used by attorneys to learn the identity of individuals or businesses involved in online copyright piracy. The subpoenas are served upon internet service providers to obtain the identity of internet users.
Philadelphia Online Copyright Attorney Obtained DMCA Subpoena to Identify Copyright Infringer
Philadelphia Online Copyright Attorney Charles Riddle obtained a 512(h) Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) subpoena on behalf of his client. The 512(h) DMCA subpoena was directed at an internet service provider (ISP) in order to determined the identity of an anonymous website owner hosting unlicensed copyrighted videos on his/her website.
Attorney Riddle received the DMCA subpoena for his client after making the required declaration in the United States District Court in Philadelphia. A review indicates that this type of DMCA subpoena is the first of its kind filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
A 512(h) DMCA subpoena is a useful tool for copyright attorneys. 512(h) DMCA subpoenas allow attorneys and copyright owners to identify copyright infringers online where the identities of such infringers may be hidden or not easily discovered. A unique aspect of 512(h) DMCA subpoenas is they may be obtained prior to filing a lawsuit. Such characteristic is not typical to other types of subpoenas in other areas of law. Generally, subpoenas may be used once a lawsuit is filed and a judge as issued a discovery scheduling order. The DMCA subpoena eliminates this delay, making it easier to identify online piracy.
As for the DMCA, Copyright law was amended to extend copyright protection to the Internet. While there are many aspects of the DMCA, one aspect is to limit liability associated with internet service providers. This is known as DMCA safe harbors. A second a aspect is to create expedited ways to remove infringing content from the internet. This is known as DMCA notice and takedown procedures.
EsquireTrademarks.com – Philadelphia Copyright Attorneys – What We Do:
- Our Philadelphia copyright & trademark attorney, prepares and files trademark applications for clients throughout the United States and abroad.
- We prosecute and defend trademark infringement and unfair competition actions in the Federal Courts throughout the United States and abroad.
- We also prosecute trademark office actions and appeals before the United States Trademark Office.
- We handle internet based trademark disputes and trademark, DMCA, and copyright takedowns.
- We draw on our experience as trademark litigators to guide you through the trademark process.
- We support businesses, law firms, and individuals by providing top notch legal services in intellectual property matters.